Re: Young Blood

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Young Blood
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 06:32:12 -0800 (PST)
--- glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net> wrote:
> The youth of today will never have the
> experience of doing it from the
> ground up. Building the true hot rod from junk
> yard parts

Some will.  I was amazed when my 16 year old
daughter (yes the one who drove her first NHRA
drag race four days after her birthday earlier
this month) came home from school and wanted to
know if I would consider letting her sell her
high-wing, Japanese DOHC four cylinder pocket
rocket that I thought she loved so much.
"What would you drive and race?" I asked her.
She told me she wanted to get a mid eighties
short wide bed Chevy or GMC and drop in a small
block.  She pointed out that I had spare headers,
spare manifolds, spare cams, and spare
carburetors.  She said she would have to spring
for some Flowmasters and maybe a set of five
spoke mags, but that she thought it would be a
much "cooler" ride. She also commented that it
would run in a better class at the drags, and she
could also run it at Maxton.
I asked her when she thought I'd get time to drop
in a small block.  Her answer was that I wouldn't
have to worry about it.  She was sure that she
and mom could do it.  I was ready to burst out
laughing, but then I remembered that she and mom
put the transmission in my flathead F-1 pickup
while I was in bed after back surgery earlier
this year.  Yup.  She and mom could do it.  Right
now, I'm looking for a mid-eighties wide bed Chev
or GMC, and I'm sure that there's at least one
generation Xer who's going to build it the way I
did forty years ago!

Dick J
http://personals.yahoo.com