Re: Welding/was lakester

To: Want1937hd@aol.com, kturk@ala.net, riveroak@cncnet.com, joetimney@dol.net,
Subject: Re: Welding/was lakester
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:10:09 EST
      Hey Bob, at other end of Connecticut ....... you mentioned your Lynwood
front engine digger chassis was welded by BOB  Bilbow ...... I could be wrong,
but wasn' t it PAT Bilbow ?   I bought my real wide steel wheels for my M & H
slicks from him back in 1961 or ' 62 .  Speaking of M & H Tires ........ the
founder and owner, Marvin Rifchin, was at our annual  Charlestown ( RI )
Dragway Reunion and Car Show this summer at Seekonk Speedway in Mass.
....... but that was one of the few shows I didn' t see you at this year .
      Marvin worked with Big Daddy a lot in developing his drag slicks, and
showed up a number of times back in the 70s at our local oval track right
here
in town ...... the Waterford Speedbowl ...... as he sponsored five time
modified
track champion Dick Dunn .  M & Hs were winning on both ovals and dragstrips
in those days !   The first real rail, a B dragster, my late friend Willy
Strickland
( owner of CWS Speed Equipment ) ran around 1960 or ' 61 was also a Bilbow
chassis, and was stick welded .  Racecar welding has come a long ways since
those days !!!   I am following the round versus square tubing thread with
the
greatest of interest ........ some very good points brought up in favor of
each .
          Bruce ....... not raking any darned leaves here today ........
PS :  Remember that sign over the door to Banjo Matthews speed shop :
         " Speed Costs Money  - - -  How Fast Do YOU Want To Go ? "