Women's LSR

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Women's LSR
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:38:39 -0500
Whilst on water for a while there was an official Women's category for
record attempts, this has never been the case on land.

Of course women have driven the official jet record holding cars of the day
to take the 'title', but they did not break any 'official' record (which
usually means the FIA speed).  The fastest woman on land Kitty O'Neil drove
a rocket car that did not itself achieve an official outright LSR.

Call it what you will Louise, Paula Murphy and others did not set
'recognised' records at over 200mph, which appears to me to be part of the
Bonneville 200 mph club rules.

If you wish to lobby for a Women's land speed record category I would
support that, but would the SCTA double it's number of classes at a stroke?

In these PC days would it not be better to support women racers who compete
in LSR directly with the men?  Why not get a competent person into a new
car to go after Andy Green's record or Don Vesco's record?

Paula Elstrick in Australia is of course working with Rosco McGlashan to
take the 'single jet engine' record (even though the FIA have yet to
provide a class to this description) and to go faster than Kitty O'Neil..

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.