RE: CAD programs

To: "'Gene Halvorson'" <ghalvorson@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: CAD programs
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:20:49 -0600
This question will undoubtedly generate lots of debate as to which CAD
program is best. My favorite is "Designer" by MicrografX. Strictly speaking,
it isn't a true CAD program but it does most things a CAD program does-- it
really is a combination CAD/illustration program. Earlier versions are
easier to use than the later ones. As usual, more features were added as the
software evolved and it became less intuitive to use. You see this software
selling on eBay from time to time at reasonable prices. It doesn't require
any stupid "dongle" plug- in on the back of your computer, either!

I've tried AutoCAD but its learning curve is exaspirating and it's
expensive-- this software is best left to the professionals. TurboCAD is OK
and it has 3-D capability. The 3-D capability is not all that easy to use,
IMHO.

With a good inkjet or laser printer, it's easy to make drawings of brackets,
etc., and print them in a 1:1 scale. Then they can be used as a template for
cutting the part out of metal. Really handy!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ