Some notes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Some notes
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:40:41 +0100
Hi Folks & Neil & Dick.

Happy New Year to everybody and a save and successful year to all.

Dick, to your request about the track - I think it's now known, what I mean
with
track - read this note I wrote some weeks ago, called wheelbase 1, 2, 3, if
something is not clear or you like more explanation, copy this part in your
mail
and send it to me, I will answer you.

Neil, to the Auto-Union from the 30's.
In the beginning they runs V16, later V12 engines.
But it was not the position of the driver, which makes the driving so difficult.
This engines was a mid engine - which means that the center gravity and the
weight of the engine was on the same point. Due to the sheer power of the
engine
and the extreme small tyres to this time and also bad suspension systems, it
was
extremely difficult to get this power on the road. This going sideways and and
oversteering was "standard". Today, a mid engine sportcar, with a much better
suspension and tyre, still goes sideways if you get too much power on the
wheels. It needs so natrualdriver talents like Rosemeyer and Nuvolari to
control this power - but if you watch old racing movies from this time - the
Mercedes was not so much better.

This cars got a weight of 1650 pounds by a (real) horsepower - at last - from
around 600.......the tyre was 4inch width.....this is less than a half of this
what a Neon got today...

See ya

Pork Pie