Re: Tech questions

To: Gary Perkinson <gfp61@mindspring.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tech questions
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:31:33 -0800 (PST)
 One transmission option you overlooked, which is very successfully used by
some, is no transmission and no clutch at all.  Just an in/out dog like a
sprint car.  Get pushed the fifteen miles an hour and slap it in gear. Once you
think you have decided on the transmission you want, get back on line and talk
to some people who are already using that setup.  I think the standard four
speed (or five speed or six speed) is probably the most common setup.  Some
guys are even using stick shifts like a four speed and no clutch.
Dick J
  Gary Perkinson <gfp61@mindspring.com> wrote: Hey, all:

A couple of tech questions. Any and all answers are appreciated:

1. Do LSR cars generally use alternators, or is charging done between runs
to save HP?

2. What are the pros and cons of auto vs. manual transmissions in LSR? I
know convertors drain HP, but are there other drawbacks to automatics, i.e.
gearing, etc.?

3. Is it possible to run a dragster-style direct-drive setup in the rear,
i.e., where the transmission is coupled directly to the rear-end with no
drive train involved?

Thanks again for your help. If any of these questions can be answered via
the SCTA rulebook, don't worry--I've already ordered one....

Gary
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.