Re: Tech questions

To: Gary Perkinson <gfp61@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Tech questions
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:12:54 -0800
Gary,
Answer to your questions:
1. Some cars run alternators and others don't, your option. I have never
seen a need for an onboard charging system. A good battery will deliver
for me and I run an electric water pump, MSD ignition and start with the
starter. I do charge the battery between runs, but not every run.

2. I guess it depends on who you talk to. I have run a Powerglide
w/converter and without. I am presently running a TH350 direct drive. I
suppose I am giving up some HP, but no one I know can give you an honest
answer as to how much. I would like to see some dyno results as to
various transmission power drains. This would, of course, require dyno
runs without trans and with on the same engine and dyno.

3. Many cars have run direct drive in the past, I don't know if anyone
is doing it today or not. One major requirement is enough HP to pull
away in high gear. Or a very fast push truck, otherwise you eat up a lot
of course getting into the power range.

Good luck with your project. Don't let someone else's lack of success be
a deterrent to trying your ideas.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC