Re: Scoop Size (see size does count!) Chuckles...

To: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scoop Size (see size does count!) Chuckles...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:01:24 -0800
Hey, Rick, glad to hear from you! Yep, putting the scoop into a high
pressure area is what it is all about. And you are right about the boundary
layer lifting off and the air getting turbulent as speed increases. One of
those things you gotta watch out for as you try for faster speeds. Even the
angle of the scoop opening relative to the surface under neath it is
important. Lots of things to consider than  just size. Glad to se that you
are being innovative especially in the charge air cooling... cool air is
more dense, more fuel can be added, ergo more power. And it is linear! a 2%
change is air density means a 2% change is power. So cool that air! Enen on
N/a cars and bikes (if possible). If a scoop is working too well, I'd think
it would go lean, not fat. So my thought is it is not in the right place for
the speed or is not sized correctly...
Anyhoo, I love to hear from you experienced racers! Oh, what is HDRA? I know
what NACA duct are, but...

mayf