RE: Under Pressure

To: "'glen barrett'" <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Under Pressure
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 07:51:09 -0700
Glen,

As you seem to have practical experience with a "compressed racer" I'll ask
what I've been wondering about this thread.

Filling compressed air bottles involves a LOT of heat.  Scuba and welding
tanks are generally immersed as they are being charged.  How did you deal
with the heat?

Dale C.

Malcolm and List
The system you describe regarding the air system used by Mickey Thompson was
the original concept of the Late John Bowen. John was a partner of mine for
many years on several cars.

He was always looking for new ways to do things. It's funny this comes up
now as I have been going through my old files and found a bunch of the
original sketches we used during the early development of the air system.

John and I built the 1st. system for a small block Chevy. We machined and
hand fabricated all of the parts except for a couple of the pressure
regulators and valves.

We tested it for about a year on an engine stand, no dyno at that time. John
got a commercial company involved  and due to other racing and raising a
family I had to drop out of the project.

Danny Ongias had a hand full when the system came on, sorta like a bunch of
turbo boost, like big time. He had a heck of a ride. The project was
workable but the hauling around a bunch of scuba bottles and having a lot of
private time to test and develop it just didn't happen.

It also required a lot of plumbing and caution as the high pressure stored
is dangerous under any conditions. At one time at Lyons Drag Strip a car
with I believe Air Research turbos connected to the rear wheels and two
K-bottles of air strapped to the chassis and some how a neck got broke off
the bottle.

The bottle stayed attached to the car, however it spun the car around in the
pit area and caused some damage. I don't recall if anyone was hurt or not
but they were banned from ever coming back. Never heard any more on the car.

Glen

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..