Re: Tires

To: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:37:20 +1100
Grib
THIS dumb Aussie posted some time ago a similar question about tires ,I have
endowed my project  ( STREAMLINER ) with 13 inch road race tyres 6 inches wide
my reasoning being to keep the frontal area as small as possible  but every
one said this was a big no no  ( THE TIRES NOT THE FRONTAL AREA) but no one
offered an explanation for this reasoning  they will be used experimentally up
to 200/ 220 mph ,I also had the same response from the tyre manufacturer who
point blank refused to advise me of their maximum speed rating,strickly no
comment .
Only things I can think of are that may preclude there use are increased
rolling resistance over narrow tyres but is'nt rolling resistance a product of
mass with the coefficient of friction constant ? their inability to be
pressurised above 40psi ( makers recomendation)  and the load placed on them .
Would my learned friends please give me the good oil regarding this matter, or
should I junk this idea and stick with the tried and true
Maybe this is the first stuffup to be submitted
Gary a sad case.