Static knowledge..

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Static knowledge..
From: Robert Jepson <robere@xensei.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:32:01 +0000
While I lurk in the wings, it's only because I know so little compared
to you guys. However, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who knows
more about static electricity than me! I went to work in '79 for 3M Co.
selling static control equipment primarily to the electronics industry,
and all the poor devils out there who wear wrist straps while handling
circuit boards have me to "thank". I still manufacture micro-fiber
static eliminators in my basement for OEM applications, one of my varied
sources of income.
    Anyway, kudos to Jim Waldron and Ardon Doug, they have it right.
It's the friction of your butt, Keith, against the non-conductive seat
that charges you up; you discharge in contact with another conductor
(the gas door). No ground strap will make the seat conductive, but Jim's
spray will make decrease the friction, and an "anti-static" spray will
attract and hold moisture for both lubricity and added surface
conductivity that will effectively bleed off the charge.
    Also, Keith, try to stop wearing those polyester pants. Natural
fibers absorb moisture and are not as prone to triboelectric
(frictional) charging......
    Bob Jepson, lurking and working in Boston, who may some day tell you
all about getting hit by lightning (told you I know about static!)