Re: Solvent solvent, I need some solvent

To: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Solvent solvent, I need some solvent
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:17:11 -0600
Howdy,
         I understand the concerns of ventilation and contact toxicity, I
have been using mineral spirits (paint thinner) and kerosene in a 6-1 ratio
of spirits to kero, seems to work ok, cleans well, and although it does
leave a slight film on the parts cleaned, on the plus side they don't rust
so fast, and the smell isn't one of predominately kero.
         so far the women in the house have not done more than comment that
"it smells a little in here, but not in a bad way". and of course every now
and then I find them hunched over using fingernail polish and acetone,
cleaning and painting nails. I always say that they should be doing >that<
in a fume hood ........
         I do use gloves in the spirits, it dries out my hands way too
fast.... but I've been using this for several years now and haven't been
forgetting too much, at least, not that I can remember....

>Wes, Ed,
>So we should just send our clutch plates out to be dry-cleaned? ;-)
>
>I had a small parts cleaner, and the specialty solvents for it were pretty
>pricey; I looked down the aisle and spotted the gallon(4litre) cans of WD40;
>worked well, not nasty to smell (drives the women wild..) but I can't
>speak for
>the actual flammability/safety/ventilation stuff...sorry...forgot what I was
>saying...

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001