Re: Inspection changed from spec gas

To: ddahlgren@snet.net, crothfuss@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: Inspection changed from spec gas
From: Flowbench@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:55:10 EST
In a message dated 3/23/02 11:01:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ddahlgren@snet.net writes:

<< This method of policing the correct fuel while simple in concept does
nothing but
 add a layer of hoops to jump through but does nothing to stop someone from
 cheating anyway.  >>
Dave, I'm sorry you feel the gas class records were set by folks cheating. I
fail to see the accomplishment in this? Bonneville is an amateur sport with
no prize money, as you mentioned. So anyone who would knowingly cheat to get
a record is just a different kind of loser. However it could be why those of
us who have set records are so proud of them, because it's not easy. We all
know you have a great background in engine building, but many people at the
track & on this list are very capable of setting records without cheating.
Some my not have the engine or chassis or aero or money or ???? background
but many do. As far as sealing the gas tank goes, It works very well with
tape & shoe polish. You pull up to the fuel truck, they inspect for an empty
tank, add the fuel of your choose, seal the lid, you get in line and make a
pass. If you qualify to set a record you go to impound within the allotted
time and the inspector comes over and first thing he does is check the seal.
If someone wants to cheat (why bother)? You and many others here can still
beat them.
As far as measuring equipment goes, don't you still need to remove the head
to use your dial bore gauge? Ya it's a lot of work to pull a head (I don't
like it) but it keeps people from pushing the displacement limits (cheating).
And if the heads off, if a guy had a snap gauge instead of a dial bore gauge,
do you feel the engine displacement would change by a significant amount? And
which tool would live longer at the salt? Not knocking you, just showing a
different point of view. Why race SCTA and waste your time cheating?
                                    Mitech Mike