Re: Inspection changed from spec gas

To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Inspection changed from spec gas
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:08:32 -0600
John:
I wish it were like you describe it, but I really don't think it's that simple.

Sure, we're all motor heads, and we share a lot of similar values and emotions.
But there are significant differences in values and perception, as well.  For
example...

1. there are folks in LSR whose highest values seem to be in maintaining hot-rod
traditionalism (for want of a better term).  It seems to me that some of them
see
any "innovation" or "outside the box thinking" as CHEATING.  (If you ain't gonna
challenge the record with a carbureted (or mechanically-injected) SBC-- then
stay
home!).  Any new innovation should have a rule made against it, in other words.
And these folks are ALWAYS within the rules, and nobody questions them.
2. then there are folks who are not so committed to tradition/ nostalgia, but
they are only comfortable walking right down the middle of the rule-set that
they
race under; they'll run Jap 4-valves and electronic ignition (where the class
allows it)-- but they won't test any areas where the rules seem "vague".  Nobody
questions whether these folks are within the rules, either.
3. then there are folks who are always looking for an edge, an angle, an
opportunity-- a gray area in the rules.  Or an innovation that nobody has yet
thought to address in the rules.  In CART, Roger Penske (who tried to stare me
down when I was Technical Observer on his pole-winning car) is that type.  I'm
sure I haven't the same talent-- but I do have the same attitude-- if it doesn't
clearly violate "the-letter-of-the-law", then it's O.K.  There's always somebody
(usually somebody from one of the first two groups) accusing this type of person
of cheating.  In their eyes, I'm sure that is the way it seems.
4.  Then there is the type to whom THE RULES-- and the inspectors-- are a
significant part of the challenge; in effect, the best victory is when you break
the rules and trick the inspectors.  Clearly, Smokey Yunick (whom I met when I
tested his car at Southwest Research years ago) was that sort of person.  And
ALL
of us from the first 3 groups see this sort as "cheaters".

Do these divergent perspectives make some of us bad people?  I don't know.  But
do know people from each of these groups, and none seem to be eaten-up with
guilt.  And from the social standpoint-- most people who knew Smokey knew he
delighted in cheating-- and still he was pretty well liked.  And Penske is one
of
the most respected people wherever he goes.

I think we will always have these arguements about "cheating", because it means
something different to each of us.  And what "cheating" really IS probably
doesn't matter.

Russ Mack