Re: Inspection changed from spec gas

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inspection changed from spec gas
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:24:36 -0500
Well this is odd but the only way i guess to clear up what I meant is
to reply to my own post...

I am not saying that every record set in a gas class the person was
cheating, I know of some I am sure they were not cheating as I was there
when the car was fueled... I don't think for the most part that anyone
would cheat at Bonneville as it was said the circle people is way to small
in the first place. All I said about the fuel check is that it really does
nothing to stop it.  It is an interesting procedure that keeps you busy but
does nothing to enforce a rule.  What I did suggest is that if there is any
question as to whether the seal is ok or if the is any question about the
fuel to just check it while you are there.  Protests resolved at a remote
location with the person being protested not in attendance can do nothing
but cause a problem.

Using the pump to verify the engine size within 1% works on the same
honor system the fuel check does as well.  If the racer says the
engine is a 372 inch engine and it pumps with in a couple of inches do
you think he is kidding the inspector. Most of the time a cylinder
pump pumps on the small side from what I have seen anyway. Does anyone
honestly think that if I have a 374 inch engine it will make any
measurable difference in power than a 372? Do you think that if I was
that close to a displacement break I would lie about it. I don't think
anyone else would lie if that close. If you pull the heads and use a
tool that can not repeat a thousandth on the bore and stroke it will
make a legal engine illegal was the reason for using a dial bore gauge
and a quality dial indicator to check the stroke.  The long reach dial
bore gauges are available to go through the plug holes and measure a
bore on a twin cam engine. Bruce Johnson used to have a set and they
worked well. Would anyone have a problem if I brought a set to measure
a twin cam without pulling a head? Along with a micrometer and a
standard to check it with?? Or use your own dial calipers though I
suspect most are not as accurate as a micrometer on their best day.

I was looking for ways to make it easier (and less expensive) for the
racer and in fact use the belief in the basic honesty we have in
them. The tear down costs are real to many and I was looking for a way
to not have as many. Most of the class breaks come very close to
popular engine combinations that can be built pretty economically...

<snip>