Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question

To: Dan <dwarner@electrorent.com>, land speed
Subject: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:44:39 -0800 (PST)
 Please take this as I mean it.  A genuine question 'cause I wanna know.  Not
in any way meant to be a pot shot or troublemaker comment.
What about genuine street cars (and bikes)  that are driven to the track and
then run.  Whether or not they set a record, they are supposed to run the event
gas.  And then, there might be somebody lucky enough to drive a street car to
the event AND set a record. There are some pretty damn fast street cars and
bikes out there.  Is he supposed to syphon his Exxon Supreme out of the tank,
replace it with race gas, and race.  Even so, if he does syphon his street gas
out, there will be maybe up to half a gallon left in the tank and system.  If
he only puts five gallons of event gas in there, will the left-over residual
pump gas be enough to disqualify him? (In the case of a bike, the amounts would
be less, but there would likely still be some pump fuel left in the system to
mix with maybe one gallon of event fuel.)
In my case, running in production class this year, I am using the stock gas
tank. I was racing on pump Exxon mixed with Sunoco race gas from the local drag
strip.  I am running and tuning the car now, and will syphon the tank dry
before I leave for the races, but I know there will still be a little of the
old fuel left when I buy my five gallons of event fuel and pour it in. Am I in
trouble?
Dick J