Fwd: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:15:51 EST
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Full-name: ARDUN DOUG
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:15:21 EST
Subject: Re: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question
To: lsr_man@yahoo.com

In a message dated 3/25/2002 1:45:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

> Please take this as I mean it.  A genuine question 'cause I wanna know.  Not
> in any way meant to be a pot shot or troublemaker comment.
> What about genuine street cars (and bikes)  that are driven to the track
> and then run.  Whether or not they set a record, they are supposed to run
> the event gas.  And then, there might be somebody lucky enough to drive a
> street car to the event AND set a record. There are some pretty damn fast
> street cars and bikes out there.  Is he supposed to syphon his Exxon
> Supreme out of the tank, replace it with race gas, and race.  Even so, if
> he does syphon his street gas out, there will be maybe up to half a gallon
> left in the tank and system.  If he only puts five gallons of event gas in
> there, will the left-over residual pump gas be enough to disqualify him?
> (In the case of a bike, the amounts would be less, but there would likely
> still be some pump fuel left in the system to mix with maybe one gallon of
> event fuel.)
> In my case, running in production class this year, I am using the stock gas
> tank. I was racing on pump Exxon mixed with Sunoco race gas from the local
> drag strip.  I am running and tuning the car now, and will syphon the tank
> dry before I leave for the races, but I know there will still be a little
> of the old fuel left when I buy my five gallons of event fuel and pour it
> in. Am I in trouble?

Dick,
    I always figured that the chances of a guy driving his "Daily Ride" to
the meet and setting a record were pretty remote (bikes nonwithstanding),
until the guy with the blown street roadster showed up in either 2000 or
2001, made 2 passes, collected his hat, and was done.
    The rules say (I believe) that you must report to the gas trailer with an
empty tank. Hopefully, if you're innovative enough to do all the safety stuff
necessary to run your "Streeter" at a SCTA event, plus make enough power to
set a record you'll be innovative enough to provide a way to empty your
tank.................Ardun Doug King