RE: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: RE: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:09:58 -0500
Dick, here's what I was told (and did) last year at World of Speed.  I
drained the tank as best I could, and with the electric fuel pump limiting
what'd come out of the tank at a time, it took quite a while to empty it
(into a can -- runs great in the snowblower).  After no more would come out
I reported to the ERC truck.  The fellow there did everything but light a
match to look inside (shake the bike to listen for sloshing, check to see no
more would drain out, and then look inside to see if there was much sign of
fuel sloshing around when he shook it).

Satisfied that I had arrived with a (as best as possible) empty gas tank, he
proceeded add the amount I requested, tape and seal the tank, and accept
some moolah from me.

Yeah, in other words, do your best to be ready to prove your tank is empty
before you get your race gas.

Realistically speaking, I betcha that your tiny bit of residual street gas
won't negatively affect the readings that might be taken if you should
qualify, especially if you really are running street gas when you arrive and
if you've drained darn near everything as well as you can.  But you can bet
your boots that after the last weeks' email discussion I'll be showing up
with no more than dust in my tank!!

Jon, Up north with more than 300" of snow this season.  Flurries coming cown
right now...

Subject: Event gas and Inspection - A genuine question

 Please take this as I mean it.  A genuine question 'cause I wanna know.
Not in any way meant to be a pot shot or troublemaker comment.
What about genuine street cars (and bikes)  that are driven to the track and
then run.  Whether or not they set a record, they are supposed to run the
event gas.  And then, there might be somebody lucky enough to drive a street
car to the event AND set a record. There are some pretty damn fast street
cars and bikes out there.  Is he supposed to syphon his Exxon Supreme out of
the tank, replace it with race gas, and race.  Even so, if he does syphon
his street gas out, there will be maybe up to half a gallon left in the tank
and system.  If he only puts five gallons of event gas in there, will the
left-over residual pump gas be enough to disqualify him? (In the case of a
bike, the amounts would be less, but there would likely still be some pump
fuel left in the system to mix with maybe one gallon of event fuel.)
In my case, running in production class this year, I am using the stock gas
tank. I was racing on pump Exxon mixed with Sunoco race gas from the local
drag strip.  I am running and tuning the car now, and will syphon the tank
dry before I leave for the races, but I know there will still be a little of
the old fuel left when I buy my five gallons of event fuel and pour it in.
Am I in trouble?
Dick J