RE: Maxton

To: "'Ed Van Scoy'" <ed@vetteracing.com>,
Subject: RE: Maxton
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:34:37 -0600
Ed;

I'm lucky to live far enough outside of Tucson that an emissions test is not
required to register my vehicles. However, I still have to pay the emissions
fee! This speaks volumes about what their true motivation is-- collecting
taxes under the guise of the "environment."

One problem I see is-- if I understand this correctly-- that the AZ
emissions limits are based on % of exhaust. Now whether this is % of volume
or % of mass isn't clear and questions to emissions testing personnel elicit
only glazed looks. Either way, it seems patently unfair to penalize someone
with a 250cc Zundapp for being slightly over the 0.5% (or whatever) NOx
emissions limit while passing a motor home with a 454CID that passed at
slightly under the limit. Based on how much total pollution is actually
emitted into the atmosphere, that little motorcycle would be doing far less
harm than the "legal" big- block. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Can anyone explain this rationale?

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ