Re: Record Question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Record Question
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:39:03 EST
In a message dated 4/3/2002 9:27:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rgribble@carolina.rr.com writes:

> Assuming, your speed is record quality, and all other things being
> legal,
> When running the long course, does a speed qualify as a record at any
> one of the timed distance markers? Do you have to complete a full 5 mile
> run to set a record? And again on the return run, does any timed mile
> qualify as a record?

Grib,
    On the Long Course the speed on any timed mile can be considered as a
qualifying time. On the Short Course you only have one timed mile to contend
with. The 1/4 mile trap in the first timed mile of either course cannot count
as a qualifying time for a record, only a qualifying time to run the Long
Course if you're not already there.
    When you run your backup run the next day your times in "relative-miles"
will be compared and the most favorable to you will be averaged. As I recall
there was a time when you had to pick your mile before the return run, but I
believe that now you make that selection in Impound after your backup run.
    There was also a time when we were running the backup pass in the
opposite direction that you had to run the speeds on the same piece of real
estate, ie: the first timed mile one way vs. the third timed mile the other
way.
    Someone please correct this if I'm wrong....Ardun Doug