Maxton

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maxton
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
About five years ago, after years of suffering from wrenchhead fever,  I got to
try driving a land speed racing event at Maxton.  I thought I had discovered
the ultimate speed high as I drove down that long line. Then I managed to get a
record, and I thought I had discovered the ultimate speed high. This last
weekend, I know I discovered the ultimate speed high.  The car was a little
stubborn, and didn't want to keep running when it was put in gear.  After about
five tries, I managed to get it in gear and keep it running. It sputtered and
faltered a few times, but then finally fired on all eight and grabbed a decent
bite.  The rear end of the car squatted low as it began to accelerate down the
Maxton Mile - -with my sixteen year old daughter, Monica, driving.  I won't
bother making this a long note, because no amount of words could describe the
thrill I got out of watching her drive and set a record.  Thanks to everybody
at Maxton for making this such a memorable day for me and my family. I can't
guess what the future may hold.  I may get to drive at Bonneville.  I may even
set a record at Bonneville. Who knows, I might even get a "2" at Bonneville,
but I am certain that nothing will ever match the thrill of watching my little
girl make her first run! Thanks, ECTA!

Dick J

in East Texas