Re: Hey, everyone....

To: gfp61@mindspring.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hey, everyone....
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
Welcome back Gary, glad to hear about your project.  My car is a
roadster, but since you mentioned belly tank lakesters, maybe people
would care to kick around the aero, stability, steering and safety
issues about belly tank lakesters.  I know little to nothing about it
personally, but there seems to be a lore about them that they must have
vertical stabilizers of an effective form to keep going straight, and
without same, they would just as soon go sideways or backwards.  Another
issue mentioned is, the longer the wheelbase, the better and safer.
Another one is wheel track, another locked rear ends.
Weight distribution, ballast, steering ratio, probably plenty of others.

The handsome Kelly and Hall tank(actually made from a P-38 tank, I
understand, and a copy is available) is my own ideal of this kind of
racecar, and it seems to handle fine.  Evidently this is a form of car
that merits deep and serious research before starting construction.  Any
comments, Gary or anybody?  Ardun Bill