RE: Some drive line thoughts for Mr. Truk

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: RE: Some drive line thoughts for Mr. Truk
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:29:48 -0400
KT & List,
FYI, a little cost comparison on used/rebuilt trannys;

Clutch required to shift
Tex Super T-10 4 spd. Fresh rebuild     (any Ratio) approx $1,450

Clutch NOT required to shift
Jerico  Fresh rebuild   (any Ratio) approx $2,100
Jerico  Fresh rebuild   w/ Emco gears(any Ratio) approx $3,200- $4,200
Tex T-101 Fresh rebuild (any Ratio) approx $2,900
Tex T-101 Fresh rebuild w/ Emco gears(any Ratio) approx $4,500- $5,500
Tex T-101-A Fresh rebuild (any Ratio) approx $4,300
Tex T-101-A Fresh rebuild w/ Emco gears(any Ratio) approx $5,800-$7,000
Rankin  Fresh rebuild   (any Ratio) approx $3,500

I run a Tex T-101 in the T'Bird and expect to use the same in the
Merkur, they're noisy but good (both Jerico & T-101) The T-101 has a
better reputation in NASCAR than the Jerico, (especially in Road Racing)
but I don't think there's much of a difference. They both have straight
cut gears and roller bearings which make for easy shifting without a
clutch. The T-101-A has an additional bearing & support on the main
shaft.

I run a triple disk Quartermaster 7.25" clutch, which is standard NASCAR
issue. Some teams use a double disk. Only problem I've had with it is
you can't pack it with salt and wait 4 weeks to open it up. I did break
first gear last meet doing a burnout but that was because I used
lightweight qualifying gears. We know from watching TV that they're good
to 10K RPM. (I use a 9,200 chip) They're cheap used($300-$400), easily
accessible, and they last. I'd still be using the same one except for
the salt. Both Quartermaster and Tilton make the same thing for about
the same price. There's also a 5.5"   button clutch but they're hard to
lay your hands on.

Just some thoughts,
Grib

"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of
your life"