Re: That Dang Ken Bond

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: That Dang Ken Bond
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:59:22 -0700
Then there was the infamous Speedwwk 2000 great JB Weld
incident..... For those that didn't hear this story..... After
the fan hit the radiator (usually in life something else hits
the fan...), I'm sitting in impound with a qualifier and a
leaky radiator. While I worked on other stuff, Dale Clay. Ken
& Rose went trick-or-treating for JB Weld in the pits. After
shaking down Les Leggitt & others for their secret stashes, we
thought we had it licked. Impound closed before we could add
water to test our work. Zero dark thirty next AM, add water,
discover a BIG leak we had missed.....What to do? the line was
forming to parade out to the start for return runs & my
radiator is taking a leak all over the salt. Well, Ken & Rose
took offf in their car and headed back to Wendover for more
JB. While the line creeped forward (I was last in line) I
could see a "no return" in my future. With 5 cars left in
line, Ken & Rose ran up with 2 tubes of quick-dry epoxy. We
slathered it all over the "holey" area, and I suited up. When
I was on deck & belted in I said "add water & lets see what
happens' Well long story short, the dang thing held water!
Return run was successful. Never did ask where in the hell
they found that stuff at 6:30 AM in booming downtown Wendover
(wasn't time) but you gotta ask; how many people would do that
for you? It would be a short list. So that's my "Bond story".
Ed