Re: Race bike Stability and Safety

To: lsr350@hotmail.com (gary baker), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race bike Stability and Safety
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:12:52 -0400 (EDT)
Gary, lotta good food for thought there.  I imagine the GP bike
designers merely reduce rake and trail to get the quick-turning
characteristics they want.  With a road bike we want the best
combination of stability and quick-turning, with a slight bias to
stability.  With a speed-trials bike I suppose stability is primary, but
we still need some ability to turn if the bike gets out of shape for any
reason.  If the speed-trials bike is a streamliner, stability and
control seem to become way more of a mystery and art known to very few.
Bill