RE: Race bike Stability and Safety

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Race bike Stability and Safety
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:15:43 -0400
>From my model rocket days.  Won't work for a full size vehicle, but a
correctly weighted model should suffice.  Last line is the kicker.

"There is a relatively simple test that you can use on a model rocket to
determine the stability. Tie a string around the body tube at the location
of the center of gravity.  Then swing the rocket in a circle around you
while holding the other end of the string. After a few revolutions, if the
nose points in the direction of the rotation, the rocket is stable and the
center of pressure is below the center of gravity. If the rocket wobbles, or
the tail points in the direction of rotation, the rocket is unstable.

You can increase the stability by lowering the center of pressure (increase
the fin area) or by raising the center of gravity (add weight to the nose.)"

from  http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/rktstab.html

Thanks,
Jim.