Classic category

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Classic category
From: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:25:00 -0700
More fodder from an UNOFFICIAL source.

Having been somewhat of a party to much of the discussion during formation
of the new Classic Category, let me give you my take on the subject.
Somewhere in the distant past, SCTA decided that vintage cars (roadsters,
deuce coupes, you know, the neat old cars) couldn't compete with the newer
and faster cars. The choice was; 1) Tough luck, or 2) give them their own
classes. Enter Vintage Category. It was a good idea, because those cars
represent a huge part of the history of our sport. It was not the first time
that classes were added, but it did set somewhat of a precedent. More
recently, a similar situation came up when some of the newest cars with the
newest and best body styles and latest electronic equipment showed that they
could easily outdistance (by huge margins) records set by older cars that
had been competing in their classes for years. Similar choices: 1) tough
luck, pony up the dough to compete with the big boys, or 2) create classes
for the older body styles and technology levels. Enter Classic Category. I
think it was a good idea because there are a lot of cars out there that
represent another significant part of land speed history. And I personally
think it is neat to go out and see cars with Hilborns! The concept was that
it might provide a somewhat more affordable "entry level" area for potential
racers. A place for people that couldn't (or didn't want to) drop a hundred
grand into a car to be competitive. Seemed like a good idea, but during the
implementation it became clear that the SCTA board was made up of more than
just 'doorslammer' racers, and if the new rules weren't going to help them,
they wanted to make sure that they wouldn't be at some kind of disadvantage
to the new category.
Enter the new restrictions:
  FOREVER! (that's where you have to stay once you commit to a class. They
didn't want cars jumping back and forth and having an advantage [we will
ignore the fact that class jumping and even category jumping are legal for
other racers]. There was a fear that after setting a Classic record, a car
would simply move right on over and set a record in the non-Classic category
with the same equipment. Need I mention that if they could have come close
to the non-Classic record there wouldn't have been a need for the new class?
But I guess it COULD happen...)
  GOTTA RUN EFI TO BE IN THE NON-CLASSIC CLASS WITH AN OLDER BODY! (pretty
much the same lame argument. Cars might jump around between the different
categories and set all the records!)
  NO DATA RECORDERS! (an illogical extension of limiting the technology in
the Classic category, even though anyone else [including the vintage cars]
can use one).
These restrictions were thought to be necessary in order to swing a few more
votes on the Board. To expect anyone now to be able to give a valid
explanation for any of it is difficult at best.
My prediction is that the performance difference between the Classic
category and the non-Classic category will become apparent as more cars run
and set records in both, and that even the most cynical will realize that
class-jumping just isn't going to be the issue that everyone was afraid of.
Further, I find it interesting that class-jumping was not addressed at a
more inclusive level. If the opponents of the Classic category were so
concerned about class jumping, why didn't they propose making changes that
would keep it from happening in all classes? (As a side note,
"class-jumping" is generally only an issue at El Mirage races where there is
a points system and season champion. I believe that ECTA encourages
class-jumping as their interest is getting records established in more
classes.) Anyway, I feel these restrictions are needless and have a chance
of being dumped once people start realizing that. Until then, there will be
situations where people can't run their cars like they want. It was the best
that could have been done under the circumstances. I assume the problems
will eventually work themselves out because this has the potential to be a
real fun racing category. And it may help to save another piece of our
racing heritage.

By now, we have gotten a few races under our collective belts, and have had
a chance to see how things are working out. A discussion of what to do with
the category in 2003 is inevitable, since it is currently a 'provisional'
category. People are already getting their licks in on both sides. Some
lament the fact that there aren't more new cars in the category and that
most of the entries just moved over from the original classes. Personally, I
have seen a few new cars, and even if most of the entries are 'changeovers',
I think that the initial interest is pretty good. What do you expect in the
first year of a class when: 1) you can't compete for the points
championship, 2) they scare you into thinking that your car may be stuck in
that category 'forever', 3) it's the ONLY classes where you can't have data
acquisition, and 4) there hasn't been that much time for people to even
realize there is a new category, much less build a car for it. There has
been the occasional complaint about the ending year, or even the starting
year for the cars. And I have heard rumors that some want to expand it to
include the smaller engine classes. All in all, I think it is working out
fairly well.
You can be sure that the SCTA Board will be discussing it, and I assume that
interested parties will get copies of the SCTA "Petition for Rule Change or
Clarification" form and turn in their suggestions for improving it. I know I
will be sending in a form or two, and I don't even have my 'Classic' car
anymore.  If you've got an opinion, let's hear it!

David