Re: Fuel Shut off

To: Jim Dincau <jdincau@qnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Shut off
From: Tom Neimeyer <tjn56@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:01:17 -0500
Jim, James & List,
  I was under the understanding that it did not satisfy the requirement.
The logic behind it not being adequate is that some electric fuel pumps
(mine for sure) will still allow the flow of fuel through them when the
electricity is turned off.  I realize this situation may or may not apply to
a different fuel pump, fuel tank location (vertical height) and position of
carb.

The intend of the rule is the absolute shutoff of fuel, not the isolation of
electricity from the fuel pump.

I had gotten this explanation from Dale Martin and because of it, and my
fuel pump passing fuel when de-powered, I installed a positive fuel shutoff
valve.  (This is on a motorcycle, with the tank mounted above the fuel
pump.)

Regards, Tom