Re: Fuel Shut off

To: <wmtsmith@landracing.com>, "Waldron, James"
Subject: Re: Fuel Shut off
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:23:13 +1000
> I saw a really excellent question go by a short while ago, but missed the
> answer.
  James /List
I posted this enquiry a while back and received no response so its great that
it has got some attention this time ,why I asked was because the motorcycle
rules require A) a master shut off switch latching type handle bar mounted
Plus B) an ignition kill switch and a  fuel pump cut of switch via a wrist
lanyard and also C) if running Gas a fuel shut off operable from the normal
riding position or if fuel a fuel shut off that can be operated without moving
your hands from the handle bars
Because the rules do not state A) if this fuel shut off is to be a plumbed in
manual type valve or B) an electric solenoid or similar  and I thought it
would be ridiculous and stupid to run a fuel line with a mechanical on/off
valve to the handle bars for fuel ( as I'm running alky)  assumed it would be
an electric type so I asked if the bar mounted switch( Master ) could be used
for this function instead of having two separate switches as my wiring would
be using the same physical wire
What I'm using is a stainless steel baffled fuel tank with an outlet at the
bottom and a return one way valved inlet at the top,  the outlet has a plumbed
in shut off valve which goes to a Holley black fuel pump 240 gph ( wanted a
Mallory but when you pay $680 for a fuel pump and regulator over here cheapest
the Mallory set up was over $1000 )   which is mounted aprox 3 inches from
fuel tank in half inch I/D stainless ,it leaves the pump at 17 psi and heads
on up to the carbies  there is a T off  with one line going to a fuel solenoid
for the N2O fuel supply ,where there is 17 psi (open line pressure ) hopefully
I get around 10 psi after the jetting  ,the other line goes to a return type
fuel regulator which is regulated to 4 psi for the carbies  fuel line I/D is
3/8 inch after fuel pump this is mounted as close to the carbies as I could
get it a return fuel line then returns excess fuel back to the fuel tank
I opted to use the master handle bar switch as my fuel shut off  but also
installed separate switches on the control panel that shut off singular pieces
of equipment
What bothers me some what is that fuel ie  alky ,nitro , N2O seems to be
treated in a more serious manner than gas ( petrol to me ) this is quite
misdirected as gas is potentially far more ignitable due to its lower flash
point /auto ignition point and the lower energy needed in a spark to cause
ignition
Gary  Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com