RE: shop lighting

To: "'Doug Odom'" <popms@thegrid.net>,
Subject: RE: shop lighting
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:25:26 -0500
Doug;

My new shop has 8 flourescent fixtures in the ceiling (half the shop has an
8' ceiling, the other is a sloping ceiling of about 16' average height) and
I'm very pleased with the lighting. Each fixture has two 40W 4' flourescent
tubes.

Part of the credit for the brightness is the glossy yellow floor coating
(that was discussed in another thread months ago) and the Bright White
ceiling paint. Dark paint on the floor, walls, or ceiling absorbs light like
a sponge and it takes a lot more lighting fixtures to make the shop bright
enough to work in. Light colors reflect light; dark colors are gloomy.

Another thing to pay attention to is the choice of flourescent tubes
themselves. There is a range of about two to one in the light output of
flourescent tubes, depending on the ones you choose. I selected a "True
Color" flourescent tube; I think they are from Philips-- in any case, their
light output and efficiency is high and colors look about the same as they
would in natural daylight. The last consideration is helpful if you're going
to be painting anything.

Look for the flourescent tubes' light output in "Lumens"-- the higher the
better. Paint is the biggest factor, though-- light colors make a shop
brighter.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ