Re: New Members

To: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Subject: Re: New Members
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
Very usefull info, Ed.  Yes, I (used to) jack the truck pretty high in the air
to load the car.  Now, thanks to your info, and my new trailer, I don't think
I'll be doing that any more.
Dick J
 Ed Van Scoy wrote:It's called a beavertail, Dick ;-) And by the way, DON'T use
the jack to jack up the rear of your truck any more than you
have to. Why? OK Confession is good for the soul.... A few
years ago, I used to have a road racer that was pretty low. It
would high center when I drove it up the ramp door, with no
other means of narrowing the angle. So..... I would use the
trailer jack to raise the front of the trailer & make a nice
smooth angle into the trailer. 'Course this raised the truck
rear end up quite high also. Well, wasn't long before I
started blowing rear shocks (oil leaks). Since I had lifetime
shocks, the only inconvenience was changing them several times
a year. For two years I asked Everybody why this was occurring
- I just thought I was just overloading the truck/trailer.
Finally, a GM engineer friend thought to ask the right
question: Do you jack up the rear of the truck when you load
the car? Yes. Then that is your problem. Seems that shocks are
designed to be bottomed out without damage, BUT, they are not
designed to be extended repeatedly past their working limit of
extension. So, I was blowing the seals! I haven't done that in
3 years, and I haven't lost a shock yet. (I put an extension
on the ramp door)
Ed