RE: New Members

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New Members
From: "Jim Belford" <jimbelford@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:30:31 -0600
OK, you asked for it - here is my story. I am a retired captain from the Air
Force after 21 years.  I spent my first 7 years as a jet engine technician
(came in handy when I had to safety wire my axle pinch bolts), four years
getting an engineering degree, and my last 10 working as an engineer on
weapon systems acquisition projects. I have a masters degree in computer
engineering and an MBA in technology management. I have spent the last 5
years working as a business area manager for Science Applications
International Corporation.
My interest in land-speed racing began about 3 years ago when I went to see
the movie Mission Impossible. They had a bright red Ninja ZX-6 in the lobby
to promote the movie and after watching the motorcycle chase scene I new I
had to get one.  The next day I went to the dealer and brought it home.
That was good for about a year.  I took the bike to the World Superbike
Championship Series at Laguna Seca in 2001 and had a blast (did the parade
lap and a everything). The feeling that I got from the power and speed was
indescribeable.  In January I researched all bikes on the market with speed
and acceleration my most critical criteria. I selected the Suzuki GSX-R1000.
It's top end is slightly lower than the Hyabusa or ZX-12 but can beat either
in the quarter mile (9.6 sec @ 145 mph). It was selected Superbike of the
year the first two years (out of two) after it was introduced. Given the
riding here in the Salt Lake City area it was also a better choice for the
twisties. All that power is fine but I needed to find a legal way to enjoy
it. 100mph + on the interstate will result in the loss of my license and
bike.
Last December at my wife's Christmas party I met Elaine and Dennis Sullivan.
  Dennis introduced me to Bonneville and land speed racing.  I was thrilled
with the idea.  I went back to Laguna Seca this year and have been preparing
for and anticipating World of Speed ever since. I was devastated when it was
cancelled.  Now I have my eye on October's World Finals. I am eager to get
started in LSR and look forward to making incremental improvements each year
and some day joining the 200 mph club.
I hope I haven't bored everyone too much. Please feel free if there is
anything you feel my background might help with to call on me.

Jim