Re: Motorcycle streamliners handling woes

To: <wmtsmith@landracing.com>, gary baker <lsr350@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Motorcycle streamliners handling woes
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:03:54 -0700
This almost sounds like the way you turn in skiing ... lean to the uphill
ski in order to turn downhill in the opposite direction.  Transferring the
weight from the downhill ski to the uphill ski requires an up motion that
results in the weight transfer being a much smoother motion of the skis and
your lower body. The side cut on the ski is what actually turns you as that
ski is weighted.  As you traverse across the face of the hill you lean
downhill to increase stability.  All the time  your knees are pushing toward
the hill and your head is away from the hill.

The usual motion in motorcycle riding is to have the  riders head to the
inside of the turn.  Apparently the streamlined bike rider has to unlearn
that motion and learn to let the radius of the front tire act as the sidecut
on the ski does.

For quicker turns in skiing you get a shorter, stiffer ski with a greater
sidecut.  For longer radius turns you lengthen the ski and diminish the
sidecut.  Sounds like what happens with smaller or larger tires on the front
of a bike or car to change the turning characteristics.

Just musing ...

Wes

.
on 9/21/02 3:51 PM, wmtsmith@landracing.com at wmtsmith@landracing.com