Re: Fw: Motorcycle streamliners handling woes

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, "list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Motorcycle streamliners handling woes
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:22:36 +1000
Bill /list
At a fundamental level you cannot equate a uni track vehicle (to wit a
motorcycle in what ever form it may take) to steer the same as a four wheeled
or three wheeled vehicle your steering  actions MUST be opposite , if you
steer a motorcycle right to go right YOU WILL fall over to the left ,what you
must remember that even in the reclined sitting position a' la car you must
not think car but motorcycle ,to go right to must initiate a left turn and to
go left you must initiate a right turn
A brief lesson in MC steering ,there are two stages A) starting the turn and
B) maintaining the turn ( I'm making an assumption that the dear readers have
some experience of riding of some sort)
do we steer or do we lean ? if steering and we turn the bars in the logical
/intuitive direction ie. right to go right gyroscopic precession and
centrifugal force will cause the bike to fall to the left further turning to
the right to correct this falling to the left will cause the bike , liner to
roll over and play dead but if we apply a counter steer torque then the forces
mentioned above will combine to cause the bike to lean to the correct side
where upon centrifugal force and gravitational force will cancel each other
out gyroscopic forces will maintain our turning arc with all of this working
through our tyre contact patch as a pivot through the C of G will maintain our
lean ,we are now turning and stable ,if we want more turn we apply more
counter steer  and if we want to straighten up we apply counter steering in
the opposite direction , we can also use  what I know as body english in which
we apply banking by pushing against the bike using our own body inertia this
is where we shift our body sharply to the left to go right or right to go left
, but in reality we subconsciously use both methods a counter steering torque
to the bars and body english.
Hope you guys could follow what I'm tying to say ,very easy to do but very
hard to describe
Gary