Re: FAO Ardun Bill,Re:Irish Motorsport scene-Non Landspeed

To: mgdardis@yahoo.co.uk (Micky Dardis), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FAO Ardun Bill,Re:Irish Motorsport scene-Non Landspeed
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:07:06 -0400 (EDT)
Micky, glad to hear that the local authorities over there can see their
way to closing a suitable public road for a day to run a bike drag
racing meet.  That way everybody has a fun day out either to run their
bike, or watch.  Far as I recall only the very fastest stock bikes can
get near or into the 9 seconds range now, so maybe people are running
light specials with big engines, or nitro or blowers.

We have that "forest rally" car race thing on cable tv over here.  $500K
for one of them!  I guess the manufacturers support it because it shows
the spectators that you can pound the hell out of the car and it still
keeps running.  That's about all I get out of it.  I always sort of
preferred pavement racing, except that I think AMA Class C dirt track
racing is an impressive spectacle, albeit very dangerous for the riders.
My dad and I were motorcycle dealers back in the '60s, and sold a line
of motocross bikes, but I always thought it was kinda sad that a fella
could buy a nice new one, that some people had put a lot of honest work
into at the factory, take it out to race and almost destroy it in about
two minutes coming down on his head over the first jump.  Not to mention
what he did to his head!

My apologies in advance to all the forest rally and motocross devotees
on this List!  Ardun Bill