RE: Parachutes & wide tires

To: "'rgribble'" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Parachutes & wide tires
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:14:13 -0500
Grib;

Thanks for that first-hand info-- very interesting.

I suspect those Daytona/Talladega tires you grooved were fairly hard
compounds as the speeds and loads on those high speed banked tracks are
pretty tough on tires. Rain tires are much softer and stickier-- something
like "qualifying" tires. The groove pattern on rain tires has been developed
to literally "pump" the water out of the tire's contact patch with the road,
so hand- grooving isn't quite the same.

All in all, this "wide-tire question" doesn't have a cut & dried answer. I
think the previous string on wide tire camber sensitivity also comes into
play, too. Some cars can benefit from wide, stickey tires, others handle
poorly with them.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ