RE: Records - Re: Wake up, honey -- we're home!

To: "'Joe Amo'" <jkamo@rap.midco.net>, "'Jim Dincau'" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Subject: RE: Records - Re: Wake up, honey -- we're home!
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:38:32 -0500
Well, what we learned is that the rulebook (any of 'em, from any of the
groups, I'd venture to guess) shouldn't be considered the definitive source
of information regarding records.  It was a bummer to stand looking over Dan
Warner's shoulder as he leafed through his printout of records -- and see,
as he turned to the page showing 250cc motorcycle records, at least four or
seven more than were listed in the rulebook.  I just now took a first look
(since we got home) at the records on the SCTA-BNI site, and the "omissions"
from the printed rulebook are (now) shown in a different color.  So the
omission we found has been noted -- and I don't know if the previous website
listing included them, so that only the printed rulebook had missing
numbers, or if the missing numbers in the rulebook (being pointed out by us,
and maybe others) prompted the different color listings in the web list.
And to respond to those who asked -- no, these are old records, not just
something that happened at Speed Week 2002.  We were there, so we knew about
things from then.  That's one reason we brought her bike to race.

Yeah, we were bummed, but obviously --- NO amount of staring at the REAL
official list that Dan (and Tom Evans, in his turn, and others, too) held
was going to change things to the way we wanted them.

Lesson:  If you're chasing a particular record, and if you have ANY
questions about it, ask an official -- don't seize upon a particular bit of
data (or lack thereof) and assume stuff.  No hard feelings from us -- hey,
it got Nancy into a frame of mind where she A: let me order a few more speed
items for her bike that we hadn't earlier considered; and B: she found the
gumption to ride my bike at speed.

If a disappointment leads to having a spouse that's even more willing than
ever to let me go racing -- Do it again!

            Jon E. Wennerberg
    Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
           #436 M/PS/G 1340 CC
2001: 200.471 mph - 2002 GOAL: 220.554++mph
        Marquette, Michigan 49855
          (That's Way Up North)