Re: SBC geometry

To: ddahlgren@snet.net
Subject: Re: SBC geometry
From: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:32:54 -0500
  Dave's comments on engine size and rod ratios were really interesting
especially when I realized that his "D" example described our Skyhawk's
piece to a tee. We run a S.B.C. with the Dart/Buick set up using a 2.85
crank, a 4.155 bore, and 6.125 rods. The heads are too big, the rods are
too long, and the manifold (Dart) is designed to accommodate 355 cubic
inches. The power is just about what Dave says it should be. The chassis
dyno shows 475 hp and 330 ft. lbs. of torque at 8400 rpm. Using a loss
factor of 15% we should expect about 550 hp and 380 ft. lbs. of torque
at the flywheel, not bad, but at least 50 hp less than we expected.

So in a perfect world some changes would be forthcoming. But in Don's
world what you see is what you get. I suspect that most of us need to
compromise here and there, but the point is we could have had a better
car for about the same amount of money if we had been more concerned
about "harmony" and a little less impressed with the caliber of our
bullets. We have always prided ourselves in being reasonably well
prepared, but I guess we booted this one.
Don McMeekin
McMeekin Brothers #183 Skyhawk