RE: Small diameter front tires

To: "'Waldron, James'" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>,
Subject: RE: Small diameter front tires
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:30:45 -0600
Oops, I forgot to delete that trailer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Albaugh, Neil
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:29 AM
To: 'Waldron, James'; land-speed@autox.team.net

Jim;

I used to have a pair of magnesium wheels and tires that were from a nose
landing gear of an F-105. They were small diameter and the tires were 26-ply
if I remember correctly. The only thing I can think of with small diameter
and a high speed rating would be aircraft tires like those. I was going to
build a trailer with them but I never did. No DOT ratings.

Small wheels & tires have drawbacks, though. Here is a quote about the 1970
AVS Shadow Can-Am car:

"...The fundamental design principal behind the Shadow was reduced
aerodynamic drag, which was to be achieved by having minimal frontal area on
the car. This became possible when Firestone agreed to develop tires that
were 30% smaller in diameter than those in use at the time -- 17 inches in
the front and 19 in the rear (as opposed to the normal 24 and 26 inches).

Unfortunately, smaller tires meant smaller brake rotors, which had less
stopping force and didn't dissipate heat fast enough. Also, because there
was no room for the radiator in the body it ended up being mounted in the
rear wing, which didn't work well. ..."

   http://www.vintagerpm.com/shadow_history.htm

A F1 team tried a 6-wheel setup with two "roller-skate sized" front wheels
on each side. It didn't work, either!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ