FW: Small diameter front tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Small diameter front tires
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:24:14 -0500
List,

Russ pointed out that aircraft tires might fit he bill. (Since I am an
aircraft mechanic [blush] the probably should have occurred to me.)  I will
investigate and post back any information I find.

Thanks,
Jim W.

Snip.....
Bill Smith (who has some background in light planes) pointed-out that those
tires
weren't designed to CRUISE at the listed speed, but only to stand that speed
for an instant at "touchdown".  Also-- because aircraft tires need impact
resistance-- the carcasses are made much heavier than typical landspeed tire
carcasses.  This means that they will generate a lot of centrifugal force at
high revs, and have a strong tendency to pull the bead loose from the rim.

On the other hand, they seem to be passing inspection, and a lot of these
little lakesters are running some pretty impressive speeds..........