Re: Re: Another Quirky Question

To: <Drylakercr@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Another Quirky Question
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:06:34 -0800
List
Clearing the course is something we have to deal with every year on the
salt. The lack of reference points on the return road is one issue I hope we
can somehow fix. Then there are the other cases where the racer does not use
their chute and coast to the seven mile before turning out and still failing
to clear the course so another  vehicle can be sent.

Most of this is covered at the drivers and crew meeting but somehow fail to
sink into the minds of the racer. The same goes for CB radios that are not
turned on, and the push vehicles following the cars or bikes down the course
and we can't talk with them. There are many issues we deal with and the only
way for it to sink in is to send a patrol or official to handle it at the
time.

All of the above hold up the meet. We have procedures and policies we pass
out and hope for the best. Over all it takes a trip to the lakes or salt to
get a feel for what the rules a written for.If you have a new comer pitting
near you take the time to give out a little info. Bonneville is very large
and overwhelming to the new racer with a lot to remember.
Glen