Re: Tear drop

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Tear drop
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 15:12:24 -0800
Good point Bill. CD and frontal area are multipliers, this I believe, is
where Jack
has a large advantage. If a change to the body reduced his CD by .01 and
the change
increased the frontal area by just a few square inches -- the car would
be slower.

Burklands car has done well and, in comparison, it has a blunt nose. As Dave
keeps saying, "It's a system". Each feature of a body, while meaningful,
is just
a part of the whole "system". For example if 15 feet of very sharp
pointed nose
were added to Burklands car, in a way that didn't add frontal area, the car
should go slower. Reason: Increased skin friction and increase thickness the
boundary layer towards the back of the car which will make laminar flow
unstable. (a good reason for vortex generators.)

Someday maybe I can quit talking and start doing,  again.
Tale care Bill,
Bryan