Re: Tear drop

To: "W S Potter" <wester6935@attbi.com>,
Subject: Re: Tear drop
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 04 Jan 2003 21:12 GMT
Wes, this was very good joke - I'm the aerodynamic guru behind the
McBride/Moreau liner.  But we followed not the teardrop/6 degrees
rule. The rear end is a little bit more than 6 degrees, the simple
reason was, if we used this rule from the end of the rear wheel house
to the rear end, the car would be too long for the trailer (which we
used in the beginning)

Also the "open" wheels wasn't correct, but we used this in the
beginning, so long I got not enough data base of the balance of the
car. The rear end was changed (and smooth) for the 2001 season, and
only this change brought more than 15 mph, we will change for the 2003
season now also the front. But the concept we worked out, allowed no
gambling.

The base aerodynamic of the McBride/Moreau car follows the "length
rule". This is a other aerodynamic rule, different than the teardrop
rule. If your car is long enough to the cross section you can use the
length rule - length means speed. This rule comes from
boats. waterdynamic is much more critical than aerodynamic. The
windshield concept is only for to get enough downforce on the rear
wheels without disturbing the airflow along the car body and to get
enough space for the instrument (gauges) panel, which is in the
roof. The cross section is the minimum space which we need to get the
engine in.  The ram box is a compromise, but we got not enough space
between engine head and the outside panels, to position the air intake
behind the head rest.

See ya

Pork Pie