Re: Goals establishment

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Goals establishment
From: "Bill \"Pokey\" Bennett" <bennevl@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:24:49 -0500
Sorry this got long, but just something I needed to say.

Some may take this as tongue and cheek, but I am being very serious here. I
have a personal goal that is one of the worse monkeys ever placed on my
back. Most everyone here knows I help crew for Keith and the official tow
truck driver. Well twice over the years Keith has graciously given me the
opportunity to drive. Well the first time wasn't too bad for being in a REAL
race car for the first time. I never really pushed the car and ran 99 mph.
Not bad I thought, but was hoping for something around 130. Promised myself
to do better the next time. The next year rolled around and I got another
chance. Okay this time I was feeling good about this one. I knew what to
expect out of the car. Intimidation level was a lot lower. Made my pass,
felt good about it ran it fairly descent in the gears except just let it
loaf  in 5th. Major BLUNDER. To my surprise another darn 99 mph. Ok now I am
really down kicking myself in the butt. no one to blame , but myself for
that mistake. Well this season comes along and on the last  the last day of
the last event Keith decides he is going to give 3 rides. two other guys and
myself. Now my chance to remove my own personal shame. While we decide I
will go last as we have to move the seat back for me to fit. I feel great
about this one. Been watching a woman total dominate this car and drive the
hell out of it for the last 2 months. So I now knew where my mistakes were
and how to correct them. On the first ride 2 rods decide to go east and west
when they should go up and down. Home again with egg still on my face. So I
started the off season with an evaluation of what will it take for me to get
myself out of this rut.  Then came an evaluation of what I have on hand at
this time. Ok one very sad looking Pontiac Firebird, a complete set of
TransAm GTA aero pieces, one newly rebuilt Ford 306 EFI motor with and E303
cam ( at best 330 HP) , a T5 5 speed transmission. Alright well I have most
of the major players on hand to make a lap car at Maxton. So this winter is
being spent piecing all this together. I don't know if it will be ready by
the first event, but I will say this as written in stone it will make a pass
faster than any ol BS 99 mph before the last day of the last event. Don't
get me wrong I am very grateful to Keith for giving me the chances he has
and being a good friend even though he wears purple, sleeps with teddy
bears, and rides across country with blue haired men.

Bill "Pokie" Bennett
By the way Girl friend says I can't call it a Pontiac anymore since it has a
Ford motor. She calls it a PONY ACT. Says its the way Richard Petty says it.