RE: Welding vs Brazing

To: "'ardunbill@webtv.net'" <ardunbill@webtv.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Welding vs Brazing
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:07:53 -0600
Bill;

There's a wealth of mis-information floating around about "fillet brazing"
(also called "braze welding") so I'll try to help straighten out some of
this confusion.

First, fillet brazing is distinctly different from the more common type of
brazing-- both in filler rod material, technique, and joint temperature.
Both types of brazing are best done with an oxy-acetylene torch although
other gasses are sometimes used with O2 (MAPP, natural gas, or propane),
both use a filler rod, and both do not involve melting the base metal, only
the filler rod. Both types of brazing also require clean, well-fitting
joints and the use of a flux.

.....Much more is contained in a longer response but it may be too long to
get posted....we'll see.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ