Re: Welding vs Brazing

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, albaugh_neil@ti.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding vs Brazing
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:46:50 EST
         Bill,  I always try to keep in mind that Brazing is akin to
Soldering .....
The two pieces are joined together, but they have NOT become one piece
of metal .  I cannot recall one weld of mine, on cars or anything, since
1954, break, but I have had the metal NEXT to the weld break from stress,
vibration, and the altered structure of the molecules without heat treating .
I have had pieces that I BRAZED together fail on occasion, and I always
blamed myself for not Welding it in the first place .
      In the late sixties a new Modified stock car showed up one afternoon
at our local third mile asphalt oval, and it was a very well designed and
constructed race car, but almost everything that should have been welded
was BRAZED, and very well brazed at that !   The Tech Inspectors took one
look before it even got off the trailer and told him to park it !!!  It sure
did get
a lot of attention sitting in a back corner of the pits, unfit for
competition.......
      Brazing was great for sheetmetal and bodywork back before MIG
welding was around, and for metal sculpture and many other neat little
projects, but when the going gets tough / fast, and frames and cages and
critical brackets and suspension pieces mean not only winning but
going home in one piece, proper Welding is the only way to fly ........
just my opinion .  Haven't we all seen plenty of brazed header to
flange joints that failed on rods or race cars ...... just because it seemed
easier than welding the different thicknesses together ?
                            Bruce
      who was very unfortunately reminded today by the Loss of a
Friend and Professional Welder, "Sam" Samson,
                   " The Original Hot Rod Junkie "   to :
                      TAKE  TIME  FOR  OTHERS  -----
          FOR  THINGS  CAN CHANGE  SO  QUICKLY