RE: Welding vs Brazing

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Welding vs Brazing
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:36:45 -0600
Russ;

That's a good idea; perhaps some of those custom bike frame fabricators
would underwrite the tests. I doubt it, though, because too many people have
too much invested in their opinions to want to find out which is stronger.
Witness the tube/solid state amplifier controversy that rages among
audiophiles in the stereo world-- totally insane. Frankly, I'd like to see a
comparison test done of various types of welded & brazed joints, not only on
the UTS (ultimate tensile strength) of the joints but also on their
toughness and fatigue strength.

I'm not a professional welder but I've been interested in finding out as
much about it as I can (among other subjects) as it is my rear end that's
only about 4 inches above the ground....and that surface (asphalt, concrete,
salt?) is whizzing by it at a very high rate of speed!

Somehow NACA, NASA, FAA, or ASTM must have investigated these questions at
some time in the past. Lots of stuff I look for turns out to have already
been studied back in the thirties by the NACA. Somebody once said that
racers are just discovering stuff that aircraft guys already found out in
the 1920s or 30s. I have an uneasy feeling that there is some truth to his
claim.....

Regards,   Neil