RE: Welding vs Brazing

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>, <ardunbill@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Welding vs Brazing
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:30:57 -0600
RE: Welding vs BrazingThis is really good (and potentially very useful)
info, Neil.

I have been involved in weld inspection for about 20 years now, and have had
some involvement in welding, brazing, silver-soldering, etc. for around 40
years.  But, like most Americans, fillet-brazing is something new to me.
All the brazed frames I have noticed in the past used lugs and our usual
"wet" brazing.

Off list, Bill Hoddinott (Ardunbill) mentioned to me that the Norton Manx
frame was brazed, w/o lugs.  I assume they must have used your
fillet-brazing technology, else I don't see how it would ever hold together!

One more thing:  you talk like a welding professional.  If so, then you know
there is a highly standardized (and widely available) way to demonstrate the
strength of a weld (or braze) joint: you just make an example "coupon", and
subject it to standardized (ASTM)destructive testing-- typically in a
tensile rig.  That should be sufficient for comparison of the tensile
strength of lugged and unlugged joints, welded joints, etc.  Somebody should
do that, so that we will have data to support the use of these options for
LSR chassis.

Russ, #1226B