Arfon's Aerodynamics

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Arfon's Aerodynamics
From: "joe lance" <jlance2@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:06:26 -0500
I'm puzzled by the discussion about free-falling raindrops and tear drop
shapes.

one comment from art arfons was that "an engineer told me that I needed an
inch of ground clearance for each foot of car length to allow for boundary
layer build up under the car".   art said he didn't understand that scientific
stuff,so he just built the green monster to fit in a bus.

I think art may have been lucky---free-falling drops may be interesting,but
wouldn't the ground interaction have to be considered first?

maybe DrMayf could photograph a drop falling very close to a long vertical
board?

lance