Re: Paint...

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint...
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:37:22 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 12:09 PM
Subject: Paint...
mayf
Don't mean to muddy the water but you don't want to use laquer based primer
if you are going to use anthing  other than laquer or enamel paint. The
solvents in base coat / clear coat (bc/cc)are too strong for laq. based
primers. They will / can make the primer swell which will show up later. You
need to use a two componet (2K) primer. It hardens or cures so it is ready
to sand sooner and will build more film thickness which You probably don't
need with your bondo being perfect.!!!!!!! I would use bc/cc because it is
so much easier to repair and maintain. You can put on tinted sealer under
the paint then base coat until covered aprox. two coats then three coats of
clear so it can be sanded and buffed to make it flawlessly smooth for aero.
Doug is right about one product line and the gun. Get P-sheets from your
supplier and follow directions. There are time windows on the products use
or you have to sand and do it again. If you don't paint can peel off at the
blistering speeds on the salt!!!!!!!! If you decide to use laq. or acrilic
enamel I would still use 2K primer because it doesn't shrink. A bad side of
2K primers and paint is that you should wear a fresh air mask or at the very
least a canister type mask. If you can smell fumes it isn't working. 2K's
have iso's in them and it can kill you, as if speed can't hahaha. If you
have long flat panels on your car use 1/4"or 3/8"balsa wood as a sanding
block. Sand with the block at an angle so you don't leave edge marks. If
your body is not real staight use 120 grit paper then reprime, use 320 paper
then seal then paint. If question Email me.